Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Lesson's in Dominican Life - Water Heater

We have been here for 3 1/2 months and there are certain things about the US that I miss.  My water heater is one of them.  In Dominica, there is not "one" water heater that heats water for the entire house.  Water heaters are placed in the areas where hot water is desired, i.e. shower/bathtub. 

This is a picture of our shower with the water heater.  We have to flip a switch outside the tub that turns on the water heater.  The water is then directed through the water heater and comes out the shower head, usually hot.  It's kinda scary having your water for the shower running through an electrical device before it hits your body...

In our house, as most houses in Dominica, we only have water heaters in the bathrooms, not the kitchen.  I use a electric kettle to heat water to wash the dishes with.  They make soap especially for cold water, but I just can't bring myself to wash the dishes in cold water!!

The kids have started back to school and are really enjoying the school here.  This is a picture from their first day back.
There are moments when I wonder if we have done the right thing by moving here, so far away from family and friends, and then there are moments like last night when the beauty and awe take my breath away and I hear God's voice and know that we are where we are suppose to be.
This is the sunset from last night..........AMAZING!!

1 comment:

  1. I think, it's because Dominica has such a humid weather that using water heaters isn't essential anymore. Most tropical countries don't have any water heater in the residential houses. When the cold weather kicks in, most of the time, they absorb the cold 'cause it only happens a few months in a year. Anyways, I haven't heard of any incident about someone getting electrocuted from a water heater, so don't worry too much.

    Elia Lester

    ReplyDelete